Analyst Job Description Security
Job Summary-Analyst Job Description Security
Responsible for the operation of information security controls to maintain the confidentiality, integrity, availability, accountability and relevant compliance of information systems with legislation, regulation and relevant standards. Monitors effectiveness of information assurance policies to evidence that they are appropriately maintained in a cost effective manner.
Conducts medium to complex cybersecurity investigations preparing formal forensic reports covering the collection, processing, preserving, analysing and presentation of computer related evidence in support of cybersecurity vulnerability mitigation and/or criminal, fraud, counter intelligence or law enforcement investigations.
Main Responsibilities-Analyst Job Description Security
• Conducts cybersecurity control reviews across a full range of control types and techniques, for business applications and computer installations. Seeks guidance from more experienced or specialised practitioners as required. Recommends appropriate action to management.
• Identifies threats to the confidentiality, integrity, availability, accountability and relevant compliance of information systems. Conducts risk and vulnerability assessments of business applications and computer installations in the light of these threats and recommends appropriate action to management.
• Conducts investigation, analysis and review following breaches of cybersecurity controls, and manages cybersecurity incidents. Prepares recommendations for appropriate control improvements, involving other professionals as required.
• Provides advice and guidance on the application and operation of all types of cybersecurity controls. Contributes to development of standards and guidelines.
• Delivers and contributes to the design and development of cybersecurity education, training and awareness to management.
• Carries out risk assessment of complex information systems and infrastructure components. Contributes to audits of information systems.
• Reviews compliance to information security policies and standards, configuration assessment, and recommends appropriate action.
• Advises information and network users on Information assurance strategies to manage identified risk and promotes awareness of policies and procedures. Acts to ensure that they are aware of obligations such as protecting the secrecy of passwords and accounts access details.
• Assesses the effectiveness of firewalls, Gateways, IDS (Intruder Detection Systems) and IPS (Intruder Prevention Systems) to improve network/system resilience. Seeks to assure integrity of system interconnectivity at all layers of the OSI model.
• Monitors and tests network usage, for compliance with legal and policy requirements, to detect (for example) transmission of any offensive or indecent material, and reports such incidents immediately to the appropriate authority.
• Supports initiatives addressing assurance of information in all formats, for example audits of physical information holdings.
• Undertakes automated and manual vulnerability assessments. Assesses effectiveness of cybersecurity controls for infrastructure and application components and recommends remedial action.
• Reviews compliance with information security policies and standards. Assesses configurations and security procedures for adherence to legal and regulatory requirements.
• Undertakes social engineering exercises such as simulated phishing emails.
• The role holder is required to minimise environmental impact in the performance of their role and to actively
contribute to the delivery of the Environmental Sustainability Policy
• To undertake other such responsibilities as may reasonably be required
Knowledge Skills and Experience-Analyst Job Description Security
1 Security Awareness A broad understanding of the current security threat landscape, existing and emerging technologies.
2 Security Operation. Understanding of requirements for maintaining security certifications such as ISO27001, Cyber Essentials or PCI. Experience in gathering operational evidence on the performance of cyber security with in one or more of the following areas: using vulnerability assessment tools, assessing the effectiveness of firewalls, undertaking of penetration testing, using log analysis tools, monitoring use of privileges accounts or using SIEM tools.
3 Security Response. Experience in investigation, analysis and review following breaches of security controls. Managing security incidents using a methodology such as ITIL.
4 Infrastructure Architecture. An understanding the principles of physical, virtual and cloud architectures (IaaS, SaaS, PaaS) for systems and networks.
5 Networking and Communications. An understanding of networking and communications related concepts such as TCP/IP networking, DNS, DHCP, load balancing, firewalls, application firewalls, IPS/IDS.
6 Access Control Systems. Knowledge of authentication, monitoring and logging systems. Such as Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, Network Access Control, Multi-factor authentication systems, or SIEM tools.
7 Risk Management. An understanding of the methods and techniques for the assessment and management of business risk. Identifying threats to the confidentiality, integrity, availability, accountability and relevant compliance of information systems.
8 Analytical Thinking: Understanding a problem or situation by breaking it down systematically into its component parts and identifying the relationships between these parts, selecting the appropriate method/tool to resolve the problem and reflecting critically on the result.
9 Customer Focus. Self-motivated, well organised and positive approach to work with the ability to manage and prioritise a complex workload and experience of dealing with challenging and demanding customers; whilst understanding the needs of the internal or external customer needs/requirements and regularly checking with the customer when taking actions or making decisions.
10 Interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills: Effective negotiation and influencing skills with demonstrable strong facilitation skills, excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate often complex information into easy to understand messages for a range of audiences.
11 Team Work: Effective and committed team player that is able to work successfully with others and to build positive working relationships.
12 CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional
BCS - Data Protection (Practitioner)
BCS - Certificate in Information Security Management Principles (Foundation) CESG - Certified Professional
BCS - Chartered IT Professional (CITP) Or equivalent qualification or experience