Cashier job description
Job Summary-Cashier Job Description
To perform a variety of clerical accounting duties related to the receipt and processing of payments; to input and update customer information; and to respond to a variety of routine customer service inquiries.
Main responsibilities-Cashier job description
1. Provide assistance to customers at the front counter or over the telephone regarding customer bills and payments; assist customers with payment plan options and update
customer account information; implement bounced check process; set-up a variety of electronic payments.
2. Receive and process new applications for water service; input customer data; verify and create new accounts; collect deposits; assist the public in person and/or on the phone;
answer inquires related to services, customer account status, completion of forms, and customer complaints.
3. Receive checks by mail, process and post payments and fees fro various District services, issue receipts; apply payments to accounts; locate misapplied payments; reconcile cash and
prepare deposits; process and balance accordingly.
4. Input and verify equipment hours from employee timesheets; maintain various spreadsheets and run reports; proof various documents related to department activities.
5. Process petty cash for departments; list distribution and request bi-monthlyreimbursement; verify proper documentation including receipts and mileage reimbursement
according to IRS standards and District policy.
6. Accept new security deposits and input data; ensure security deposits are refunded with calculated interest in accordance with District policies and procedures; prepare related correspondence.
7. Receive and respond to questions regarding applications for water service, current accounts, security deposits, and returned checks; receive and release maintenance bonds, certificate of deposits and in lieu of checks; explain policies and procedures to customers.
8. Perform a variety of general administrative office support duties such as typing, proofreading, filing, receiving and distributing mail, ordering supplies through purchasing, and answering the telephone.
9. Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
10. Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities-Cashier job description
Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Cash handing techniques.
Principles and practices of effective customer service.
Modern office equipment including use of applicable computer applications.
Interpret and explain District policies and procedures.
Maintain correct financial records and files.
Make correct mathematical calculations.
Operate and use modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Obey safe work practices, procedures, and regulations including wearing protective equipment
and safety devices.
Operate equipment in a careful and safe manner.
Acknowledge the use of safeguards by other employees.
Report any removal, displacement, damage, destruction, or tampering of safety devices,
safeguards, notices or warnings.
Report any safety risks or hazards to your supervisor or other management personnel.