Commercial Lawyer Job Description
Job Summary-Commercial Lawyer Job Description
Provides commercial legal advice across the organisation
Key Responsibilities Commercial Lawyer Job Description
• Provides accurate, timely, practical and commercially focused legal advice to clients.
• Works unsupervised and conducts a general caseload, referring upwards as required.
• Drafts and reviews legal analysis, submissions to the Board and other legal
• Supervises the work of more junior members of the legal team, overseeing complex matters as required.
• Provides expert legal support to major projects.
• Undertakes policy and advocacy work, including preparing and coordinating submissions on
areas of law or policy that affect the company.
• Supports dispute resolution processes and strategies.
• Maintains a comprehensive knowledge of recent legal and policy developments in a specific
area of law, and ensures that clients are aware of implications.
• Ensures compliance with policies and procedures and relevant legislation and regulation.
• Supports training and knowledge management activities.
• Works collaboratively with colleagues in the team and across the comapny.
• Assists colleagues on legal matters, including planning, organising and managing of work activities across service/department.
Knowledge, skills, training and experience-Commercial Lawyer Job Description
• Fully qualified lawyer with commercial transactional experience gained within a leading law firm and/or in-house team.
• Proven track record of handling large, complex transactions and extensive experience of Contract and Commercial law.
• Extensive experience of advising on and leading the legal workstream on major supplier relationships/ commercial transactions/ procurement processes including providing legal support to all stages of the contract life cycle.
• Commercially aware with an understanding of the issues affecting the industry generally.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to clarify complex issues and concepts for non-lawyers.
• Ability to work supportively as a team member and to build and manage relationships at all levels.
• Ability to analyse and problem solve under pressure, delivering proactive, expert, timely and authoritative legal advice and support to stakeholders
• Exceptional drafting and negotiation skills
• Shows initiative, commitment and flexibility when faced with obstacles.
• Motivated to learn and open to constructive feedback.
• Computer literate with skills across a range of IT packages.
• Previous experience of corporate matters – particularly advising on joint ventures and
• Previous experience of technology supply and contracting – particularly advising on IT
outsourcing, supply of IT systems, cyber security, data protection, software licensing and cloud computing.
• Previous experience of regulated procurement processes – whether in the
commercial or public sector.
• Previous experience in the media and broadcasting sector