Communications Officer Job Description
Job Summary-Communications Officer Job Description
To coordinate, maintain and develop a communications framework and infrastructure with a primary focus on communications, enabling the delivery of appropriate messages throughout every layer of the business and its key stakeholder audiences. Will take ownership for generic audience communications and will work closely with the other Communications Officers to provide cover and a good service where audiences overlap.
Main Responsibilities-Communications Officer Job Description
1. Assist the Communications Manager in delivering communications plans with key audiences on a broad-reaching scale, that enables effective two-way communication, contributes to a more open and inclusive culture, and provides opportunities for feedback
2. Act as editor and coordinator for key communications, preparing material for web or print in conjunction with departmental colleagues. Provide strong editorial support in the coordination, writing and publishing of publications including internal newsletter, and other printed and online materials – such as on the colleague intranet, website pages and digital channels
3. Help to develop and promote communications campaigns and key messages using a range of channels, assets and tactics, ensuring that communication activities address the general communication needs throughout the business
4. Help to establish collaborative networks or user groups to facilitate the sharing of information and good news stories, establishing and nurturing good working relationships with key stakeholders to ensure support and buy in for strategic communication activities
5. Work across departmental teams including Digital and Marketing, and with locally based content owners across the business, to ensure that coherent and correct communication messages are delivered effectively to broad audiences
6. Develop regular reports and metrics on the effectiveness of communications activity
7. Provide communications support to campaign related events targeted at specified audiences
8. Provide support to social media content as requested, reviewing and updating as required, as well as supporting the Communications Manager to ensure all activities are copyright, and compliant.
9. Be an ambassador for the Communications directorate, always working constructively, positively and collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders, and undertake any other duties as appropriate and as required by the Communications Manager from time to time
Knowledge Experience Skills Qualifications-Communications Officer Job Description
• A relevant first degree or equivalent practical experience that demonstrates relevant levels of knowledge and skills.
• Professional qualification or working towards a professional qualification in a marketing related field.
• Experience with CMS and publishing systems.
2. TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
• Experience of working within a communications team, preferably with a specific audience focus.
• Experience of delivering communications in an environment of organisational change.
• Experience of working with websites and social media channels.
• Experience of event co-ordination.
• Demonstrate excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
• Experience of reporting on communications effectiveness and making recommendations for improvement.
• Experience of building a network of contacts for information gathering.
• Demonstrate the ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
• A sound knowledge of Government policies in education,
• Experience of coordinating specific targeted communications campaigns.
• Experienced in the use of CRM databases.
3. APTITUDES AND ABILITIES
• Have a knowledge and understanding of the principles of communications and how different channels can be utilised to target different audiences.
• A good understanding of brand management.
• A good understanding of current communications trends and developments.
• Abilty to prepare effective content for a range of audiences using digital or print formats.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to handle a wide range of contacts tactfully and persuasively.
• Ability to write high quality engaging copy for different audiences.
• Excellent IT skills.
• Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines while applying quality standards to all tasks and ensuring that nothing is overlooked.
• Ability to work flexibly, taking account of new information, unexpected situations or changed circumstances and modifying understanding of a problem or situation accordingly, taking advantage of opportunities and overcoming problems.
• Well planned and organised.
• Understanding of new marketing practices.
• Forward looking with commercial acumen.
4. PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
• Fully committed to contributing to a stimulating learning and working environment which is supportive and fair, based on mutual respect and trust, and in which harassment and discrimination are neither tolerated nor acceptable.
• Committed to self-development