Data Analyst Job Description
Job Summary-Data Analyst Job Description
To process the incoming data and utilise tools/systems/processes to identify issues and areas for improvement. To support routine analysis and audits of incoming and outgoing data to ensure it complies with agreed standards and data quality thresholds
Key Resonsibilities-Data Analyst Job Description
• Support the provision of a robust data warehouse using existing tools and techniques to load and transform data
• Co-ordinate and log the receipt of data sets from partner organisations, and communicate proactively with these providers to ensure that necessary datasets are received on time.
• Distribute processed datasets to internal or external customers, complying with information governance policies.
• Check and validate raw and processed data for errors, omissions and anomalies using automated and manual procedures and liaise with providers to secure corrections to invalid data.
• Use MS Office functionality to standardise incoming ad-hoc datasets to ensure they can be loaded reliably and automatically.
• Write queries to extract ad-hoc datasets required for internal or external use.
• Monitor the functioning and performance of the systems used to manage data to ensure that they are performing efficiently and that the output is accurate, consistent and of a high quality.
• Keep up to date with developments regarding the provision of data and changes in specification.
• Undertake routine data extractions from systems
• Utilise pseudonymisation routines within the data warehouse(s) and associated processes.
• Maintain aggregate data views and cubes for use by the information services team for information analysis.
• Identify and report when data issues result from possible faults in processes and systems making recommendations for improvements where possible.
• Support the development of key data sets by frequent or regular information users, including development of techniques or systems.
• Identify opportunities for improvements to routine data processing and propose developments to tools/systems to deliver efficiencies.
• Develop documentation of quality standards covering all aspects of data, analysis and reporting work streams.
• Build knowledge and expertise in information systems, Payment by Results (PbR) and hold an understanding of other information systems.
• Create and maintain a range of Standard Operating Procedures related to the functions of the data management team, ensuring that the whole team are aware of and follow any new processes.
• Use judgement to determine the most appropriate course of action to take when dealing with user queries where there are a range of options available.
• Responsible for maintaining confidentiality and discretion at all times.
• Other ad-hoc duties required to meet the needs of the service.
Knowledge Experience and Education-Data Analyst Job Description
A degree in IM&T or Business Administration e.g., Information Technology, Information Science.
A combination of IM&T knowledge/experience/qualification (e.g., Advanced ECDL, BTEC, HND/OND) and at least 2 years’ experience.
Experience of supporting Informatics activities and projects to tight timescales
Extensive experience in the use of advanced Microsoft Office functionality (particularly Excel) and other software packages
Experience of working with datasets and databases.
Experience of detailed checking of data and information.
Knowledge and experience of working to and recommending improvements to procedures.
Experience in auditing data quality, handling raw data, qualitative analytical techniques.
Use of relational database query structures and reporting skills such as SQL
Skills & Aptitude
Advanced keyboard skills required, including the ability to use keyboard shortcuts.
Excellent organisational skills
Able to switch from one task to another without losing focus, holding a clear overview while paying attention to key aspects of detail.
Analytical skills to interpret complex data specifications and requirements
Excellent oral and written communications
The ability to work under pressure to meet agreed service levels
The ability to work well in a team and use own initiative under supervision
The ability to work flexibly across the department
Able to prioritise work, and work well against a background of change and uncertainty
Adaptable to situations, can handle people of all capabilities and attitudes
The ability to keep calm in stressful situations
Commitment to team-working and respect for the skills of others
Self-motivated, proactive and innovative
Ability to promote workforce diversity and contribute to wider equality and diversity agenda
Knowledge / Abilities
Systematic approach to problem solving
Ability to establish priorities, work independently and proceed with objectives with minimal supervision
Continuous ability to source, assimilate and analyse data and information relating to wide range of services and translate into an easily understood format