Department Manager Job Description
Job Summary-Department Manager Job Description
Department Manager Job Description provides embedded operational and strategic support to help achieve strategic aims. The Department Manager will be the lead for the Department, responsible for facilitating the delivery of the strategic plan and leading on operational delivery.
They will lead the administrative support team and coordinate efforts in support of the Department's priorities. They will also have delegated responsibility for managing the non-staff budget.
Main Responsibilities-Department Manager Job Description
1. Share collective responsibility with the department management team to provide effective leadership that promotes a sense of inclusion and ambition, as well as ensures the delivery of agreed business plans, in line with targets.
2. Provide guidance to the Head of Department on all matters referring to senior leaders as appropriate. Support the HoD with development of departmental plans, including providing management information and papers to enable effective planning and decision-making.
3. Engage the Partner team to ensure that the department receives relevant specialist advice and support from the Divisions in delivering against core strategic and operational priorities
4. Responsible for the management of the Departmental administrator and joint management for other staff working in direct support. Ensure the effective coordination and collaboration with a variety of staff within the department to enable the successful delivery of activity.
5. Develop excellent relationships with Partner colleagues to ensure that Departmental aims align successfully with policies and strategies.
6. Act as a key point of contact within the department and a source of expertise for departmental operations and activities.
7. Be responsible for department communications and contribute to internal communications planning and delivery to support the establishment of a strong learning community and to support the wellbeing of staff.
8. Working collaboratively with the Partners to support the Head of Department with the development, establishment and maintenance of:
a) A vibrant research and innovation culture
b) An inclusive learning community and a strong student experience
c) Entrepreneurial initiatives and sustainable income generation within the Department d) Budget management (working with the Management Accountant)
e) Supporting the processes associated with workload planning
Contribute to the initiation, business cases and support delivery of capital and infrastructure projects in Department buildings and areas.
9. Ensure that effective governance arrangements, reporting and monitoring processes are embedded and delivered, minimising risk and maximising the potential of the Department.
10. Support the capture of research data to inform associated performance monitoring and reporting.
11. Support the culture by ensuring the delivery of a programme of departmental seminars, events and workshops are organised within the Department and supporting the development of related Departmental action plans and annual monitoring
12. Support the HoD in the annual research/planning process and development of associated Departmental business plans, working with the Partner, and Sector leads.
13. Support the Head of Department with the management of regulations in areas of complex or specific activity, such as export controls or the storage and use of restricted goods, taking the lead on H&S matters within the Department and support Tech Services where appropriate.
14. Support the Head of Department to create an environment for staff where they feel empowered and able to thrive, where inclusion and diversity underpin all activity and where there are effective systems, processes and procedures in place to support.
15. Support the Department to uphold the expectations for the sustainability agenda and work with the Infrastructure Lead to support the Climate Emergency work developing a local action plan if required.
16. Champion the values of discovery, respect, excellence, inclusion and community, ensuring they are visibly progressed and embedded in the Department.
17. Work with the Faculty Partners to embrace opportunities to effect positive change and new ways of working.
18. Support or manage Departmental or Faculty projects as required.
19. Support the Department with their website through the drafting of content, the collating of updates and through connection with web team colleagues.
Knowledge Skills Experience and Education-Department Manager Job Description
Education to a degree level or equivalent experience.
Management experience within a large, complex organisation.
Effective decision maker with operational delivery experience
Able to prioritise and communicate key objectives to achieve organisational goals and objectives with a wide range of contacts, face to face, in writing and on the telephone Good project management experience and ability to deliver efficiently and in a timely manner across a diverse team.
Experience of planning, managing and working with budgets
Effective influencing skills at a range of levels both within and externally
Ability to form positive working relationships with a wide range of contacts both within and externally
Ability to work on own initiative with the minimum of supervision
Strong attention to detail and a commitment to getting things right the first time Ability to manage own workload effectively, prioritising and delegating effectively to meet a range of deadlines and peaks in workload
Ability to manage staff appropriately and effectively, including motivating teams to meet individual and team targets