Divisional Accountant Job Description
Job Summary-Divisional Accountant Job Description
Providing efficient and effective financial advice and information to service managers on how to optimise their department’s efficiency, economy and effectiveness.
Budget setting and ensuring budgetary control is maintained by providing managers with accurate, timely information and ensuring any significant variances are
investigated and appropriate action taken.
Monthly and annual reporting of income and expenditure and advising on actions required.
Supporting contract negotiations where appropriate.
Business case preparation.
To be responsible for ensuring budgetary control is maintained and ensuring the
devolution of budgets to the relevant budget managers.
To support the production and analysis of reference costs, contract analyses, and
other costing information required
Key Responsibilities -Divisional Accountant Job Description
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
• Support and advise the Associate Directors of the services
• Support and advise the Service Managers
• Liaise with Directors, Service Managers, Divisional Accountants as required
• Schedule own work to ensure activities are completed to agreed timescales to
deliver an effective and efficient service.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with other individuals in the finance
directorate, other members of staff and outside organisations to ensure the delivery
of a professional service focussed on achieving a high level of customer
• Assist in reviewing and developing financial procedures, desktop procedures and
to contribute to improving financial systems to increase efficiency and accuracy. Contribute to the continued development of effective information systems.
• Propose changes to and redesign local accounting and financial policies and
procedures which have an impact in other areas.
• Deliver training on a range of subjects to own area.
• Provide financial support (including regular face-to-face/Online meetings) to the
relevant budget managers to ensure achievement of planned performance, paid
and accrued, ensuring that expenditure and income is correctly coded and accruals
• Prepare budgets in conjunction with managers for approval by the appropriate
Head of Service and Divisional Director of Operations.
• Prepare monthly budget reports for the budget holders in line with the agreed
• Identify, analyse, investigate and resolve complex financial queries and
discrepancies on variances from plan/budget and produce exception reports and
supporting data, supporting as required in implementing recommendations from
reports where appropriate.
• Ensure that expenditure and income is properly accounted for within budgets.
• Produce year end forecasts on a regular basis as required
• Support the cost improvement process by working with managers to identify
savings schemes and to report on those in place.
• Ad hoc project work including support into business cases as required.
• Assist in the year end accounting processes.
• Assist in ensuring financial feeder systems interface accurately and completely
with the general ledger for the relevant areas.
To ensure accurate financial reports are produced and appropriate budget profiles
To assist in reviewing and developing financial procedures, desktop procedures and
to contribute to improving financial systems to increase efficiency and accuracy.
To assist the appropriate Service Managers in implementing recommendations from
reports where appropriate.
To provide Service Managers with relevant, accurate and timely financial advice and
To maintain appropriate systems throughout the year, ensuring that accurate
information is prepared for budget setting
To monitor actual against planned income and ensure all variances are investigated
To provide well researched income forecasts for planning and reporting purposes.
To initiate timely and accurate invoices for all agreements, and to liaise with the
appropriate director to ensure that invoices are followed up and resolved promptly.
To ensure that invoices are accurate and reconcile to current contract control totals.
To support the appropriate Manager in coordinating activity and invoicing
To support the appropriate director in providing information for other non-company bodies where appropriate
To support on the production and analysis of information required.
To support the appropriate director in developing and improving, particularly in
response to national policy changes and commissioner requirements
To liaise with Service Managers to ensure information is timely, accurate and
To maintain and where appropriate improve links with the information
department to support the business planning and costing processes.
To support the appropriate director in the development and implementation of service
line reporting as key element of service line management, liaising with other members
of staff as appropriate.
To line manage the management accountant(s), including support, development and
appraisal, ensuring objectives are set and monitored throughout the year
Act a way that is compliant with Standing Orders and Standing Financial Instructions
in the discharge of this responsibility and advocate this approach within the Financial
directors, divisional directorate and the across the wider landscape
Support the FBP in ensuring robust accounting, budget and financial management is
in place and the delivery of value for money and efficiency within the existing budget
year on year
Support within the Finance directorate in ensuring the delivery of high quality and
relevant budget and monthly reports, ensuring that a full and appropriate analysis
and reporting is delivered with appropriate managers
Deliver financial advice and support, as required, to divisional Directors associated
senior managers to ensure achievement of planned financial and operational
Knowledge Skills Experience and Education-Divisional Accountant Job Description
• CCAB Qualified or equivalent professional qualification
• Evidence of continued CPD
• Minimum of 2 years finance experience in management accounting.
• Experience of improving financial service to budget managers
• Experience of negotiating with clinicians, other professional staff
and senior executives
• Experience in delivering finance training
• Good communication skills
• Good analytical skills
• Good judgemental skills
• Good prioritisation skills
• Strong Spreadsheet skills
• Basic Word Package skills
• Basic other computer package skills
• Relates well to others
• Smart appearance
• Good attendance record
• Commitment to ongoing personal development
• Valid driving licence