Engineering Technician Job Description
Job Purpose -Engineering Technician Job Description
To provide technical support and advice across a wide range of engineering labs including, CNC Machine Centres / Routers, Lathes, Milling Machines, 3D Metrology Equipment, Clean Manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing, CAD/CAM design centre, workshops, vehicle machinery hall and other specialist facilities in the department.
Key Responsibilities-Engineering Technician Job Description
1) Support the activities in engineering labs and workshops (including but not limited to the following: machine lab, engineering workshop, mechanical lab, agricultural lab, spray lab, welding lab, soil hall and machinery hall).
2) Support staff and students undertaking activities in the engineering facilities
3) Maintain asset management records, supervise stock control activities and maintain compliance to health & safety in the lab and the workshop;
4) Prepare and maintain equipment for demonstration and project work;
5) Assist staff and fellow technicians during practical classes, demonstrations and project work which may include instruction of staff, external personnel and students;
6) Ensure that statutory testing and maintenance of equipment, machinery and vehicles is undertaken;
7) Knowledge of H&S legislation pertaining to heavy machinery and power tools and the ability to educate and train in their safe use;
8) Provide scheduled and ad-hoc support (including driving mini-bus and tractor/trailer) for department activities including ‘open days’ and technology awareness days
9) Maintain tidy, clean and safe work areas for staff and visitors;
10) Undertake other duties as requested by the Line Manager;
Knowledge Skills and Responsibilities-Engineering Technician Job Description
Degree level qualification or equivalent experience in industry and/or academia;
A recognised qualification in mechanical and/or manufacturing engineering, mechatronics, electronics, robotics or similar;
Practical experience of operating both manual and programmable machine tools e.g. CNC centres, lathes, milling machines, plasma/laser cutters, rapid additive prototyping units, metrology equipment eg 3D CMM scanner etc.;
Experience of testing and supporting design evaluation and validation;
Engineering design and development experience, including working to designs, testing, design evaluation and validation;
Producing complex and specialist components as a one-off test and trial work piece and/or producing components in small or large batches;
Practical experience in mechanical fabrication techniques.
Experience of working in the agricultural vehicle workshop or food production, would be advantageous
The candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills (use of MS Word, Excel Page 4 of 5 and PowerPoint is essential).
Self-motivated and with a proactive approach to work with the ability to apply knowledge to solve engineering problems