Finance Assistant Job Description
Job Purpose-Finance Assistant Job Description
The Finance Assistant will be responsible for a number of finance processing and monitoring tasks providing a high level of customer service to service users and working closely with finance managers and other colleagues.
Key Responsibilities -Finance Assistant Job Description
Take complete responsibility for the effective and efficient completion of the
some of the following tasks:
▪ Accounting transactions – obtain supporting records, perform calculations and process in the relevant business system.
▪ Project administration – ensure that expenditure is bona fide, compliant
with terms and condition of funding and within budget; reports are
submitted on time; issues are resolved; liaising with other departments
as required; communicating with budget holders.
▪ Expenditure processing in line with the business processes.
▪ Income processing in line with budget.
▪ Bulk transaction processing – check, verify and upload journals into the accounting system.
Take ownership of allocated tasks which may include the following:
▪ Purchasing – convert requisitions into orders, process purchase orders,
GRN and send invoices to the Payment Centre.
▪ Cash handling in line with processes.
▪ Expense processing via Concur.
▪ Queries – review and provide solutions in a timely manner.
▪ Travel booking arrangements and payment in line with Procurement
▪ Casual staff – facilitate the process of setting up and paying casual
▪ Additional administrative and finance tasks are required by the team and
Customer service and liaison with other teams and departments
▪ Act as the first point of contact in the Finance Support Office, fielding all
financial queries, and answer questions about financial policies and procedures.
▪ Establish good communications and regular contact with key staff in
business units in order to expertly deal with questions regarding purchase
orders, invoices, expenses, fee payments, etc.
▪ Work closely with colleagues in other departments (e.g HR etc.) and answer questions on financial policies and procedures.
▪ Provide a high level of customer service to business units as measured via
customer feedback and assessed through the process.
Business performance management
▪ Responsible for creating, updating and reviewing financial reports to
ensure that budgets at project level are not overspent and all transactions
are correct and bona fide.
▪ Investigate anomalies, suggest solutions, respond to queries; identify more
complex queries to refer to finance managers.
Supporting the preparation of management and year-end accounts,
forecasts and budgets
▪ Understand the month- and year-end processes to ensure that all tasks
are completed to timetable.
▪ Acquire information and documentation from business units for performing
calculations, reconciliations, accruals and pre-payments.
▪ Input amendments into the accounting systems and maintain supporting
records to satisfy the requirements of auditors.
Ensure compliance and effective financial control
▪ Use financial systems to ensure accurate recording in compliance with
relevant accounting policies and standards.
▪ Produce and review standard exception reports to identify areas of noncompliance.
▪ Keep up-to-date with accounting and regulatory developments to ensure compliance.
Personal and professional development and training
▪ Identify, highlight and address development needs to ensure continuing
professional development and the necessary experience by attending
▪ Provide administrative assistance to more senior colleagues including
filing, photocopying, receiving mail, drafting correspondence, etc.
▪ Any other duties as appropriate to grade and role
Knowledge Skills Experience and Qualifications-Finance Assistant Job Description
▪ Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
▪ Good IT skills with Office applications particularly Excel, Word and Outlook
▪ Accuracy and attention to detail
▪ Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
▪ Good analytical and problemsolving skills
Qualifications, certification and training
▪ 5 GCSEs or equivalent (including Maths and English) with grades C