Head Chef Job Description
Job Purpose-Head Chef Job Description
Head Chef Job Description responsible for the production and delivery of the daily food offer which includes freshly made hot food, salads, cakes and sandwiches, as well as catering for major functions and events.
The Head Chef will lead on the development of new menus and be responsible for the overall direction of the food offer. In addition the Head Chef will be responsible for leading a team of chefs and kitchen staff and maintaining high standards of catering and service provision within the department.
Key Responsibilities-Head Chef Job Description
To be a proactive, flexible and dedicated lead member of the Team and the lead member of the Kitchen Team.
• To lead the kitchen team in developing a good work ethic within the department that encourages continued staff and product development in all areas.
• To be responsible for all menu development, developing an offer that is attractive for our audiences, including vegetarian and vegan options with consideration given to other dietary requirements.
• To ensure that all food is produced and presented to the standards as laid out and agreed with the Manager.
• To organize the daily food production (including staff schedules) and communicate to the Chefs the standards required of them, reinforcing our ethos of professional, quality and creative food delivery.
• To be responsible for the purchase of all food for the department, meeting our aims of local provenance and sustainability.
• To be responsible for the training and development of the kitchen team and ensure that all relevant and legal requirements for training are up to date and documented.
• To ensure all stock deliveries are checked, stored and recorded in line with HACCP and electronic ordering processes.
• To be responsible for achieving the required revenue and gross profit margins for all trading outlets as set out in the departmental budget.
• To ensure that all production, service and storage areas are clean and comply with all health and safety and food safety legislation, reviewing the Food Safety Policy annually with the Trading Manager.
• To ensure that all equipment is maintained in a clean and hygienic manner and all equipment faults are reported.
• To actively engage, champion and develop policies, specifically those relating to the Trading areas and those more broadly relating to quality and customer care initiatives.
• To comply with all policies as set out on the web site.
• To undertake health and safety duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post.
• To be committed to the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy, together with an understanding of how it operates within the responsibilities of the post.
• To be committed to your own development and that of your staff
• Any other reasonable duties requested commensurate with the grade of this role.
Knowledge Skills Experience and Education-Head Chef Job Description
Manual Handling qualification.
Advanced food hygiene certificate.
Intermediate Food Hygiene certificate.
Catering qualification to level 3 NVQ or equivalent experience.
Previous head chef or sous chef experience.
Previous supervisory chef experience
Experience of supervising a large kitchen team.
Experience in catering across a range of food groups with strong credentials in vegan & vegetarian cuisine.
Experience of working in a venue.
Demonstrable experience in menu development using local produce & quality ingredients.
Knowledge of food ordering systems and EPOS till systems.
Experience of working independently with high volume food production.
A passion for food and contemporary applications in production techniques and food presentation.
Demonstrable knowledge of high quality, freshly prepared food.
Excellent communication skills with the ability to give, receive and understand information in the effective running of a kitchen environment.
Demonstrable leadership skills with a track record of delivering team goals and objectives.
Good level of basic numeracy, literacy and IT skills with the ability to use Microsoft office applications.