Health and Safety Officer Job Description
Job Purpose-Health and Safety Officer Job Description
Health and Safety Officer Job Description to provide professional advice, guidance and support on all areas of health and safety and to ensure effective control of health and safety compliance.
The role is varied and covers compliance and proactively delivering training and development to ensure staff are able to undertake their activities in a safe and manageable way. The role will include particular duties relating to bio-safety outside of a Lab environment, as well as regular inspections and auditing.
Key Responsibilities-Health and Safety Officer Job Description
1. Responsibility to manage an audit schedule and undertake inspection audits within buildings, departments and areas to ensure compliance with legislation and policies and procedures.
This will involve following up outstanding actions with Managers and Technicians and assisting staff to put relevant paperwork and training in place
2. Advise specifically on farm and agricultural related safety matters through your experience and specialist knowledge of bio-safety hazards of working in Agriculture.
Experience within and outside of a traditional Laboratory setting, would also be useful to ensure that health and safety practices are effectively implemented
3. Responsibility for developing risk assessments through research into the activity both physically and legislatively
4. Responsibility for producing COSHH assessments for all substances used within departments and compiling a COSHH pack
5. Responsibility for producing Safe Operating Procedures for a variety of activities that align with the risk assessments
6. Design and deliver training to staff on hazards, risk and COSHH assessments where necessary including use of the SHE software and delivering feedback.
7. Through regular presence on site you will determine ways of reducing risk and work with managers and their teams to implement training solutions – hazard identification and assessment, and guide managers through the implantation of any corrective actions required.
8. Provide leadership and coordination of day to day H&S requirements of projects
9. Collate incident reports, analyse and advise on corrective actions and identify adverse trends
10. Produce and manage reports on incident statistics and return to external bodies (Landex, USHA, UCEA)
11. Identifying training needs and developing training plan for staff
12. Design and deliver a range of health and safety training for Staff including new staff inductions, tool box talks, awareness training, software updates, DSE awareness etc.
13. Providing face fit testing and advising on correct PPE requirements
14. To give specific health and safety advice on practical matters across professional service departments
15. Identify, procure and distribute specific health and safety equipment including DSE and PPE items
16. Working alongside the HS Manager ensuring good health and safety culture is embedded having a pro-active presence
17. Attendance at safety meetings, deputising for the H&S Manager as necessary
18. Knowledge and experience of ensuring compliance with regulatory and organisational policy and guidelines.
19. Working alongside the H&S Manager to research, create and implement new H&S policies and procedures.
20. You will have a willingness to co-operate in all areas including alongside staff who manage and operate machinery, where Personal Protective Equipment will be required to be worn.
21. Analysing trends and activities on incidents and drafting reports for health and safety committees and Board of Governors
22. Must hold First Aid at Work qualification or willingness to undertake
23. May be required to work evenings and weekends, as business demands
24. Deputise for the Health and Safety Manager as required (e.g. during annual leave)
25. All other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the post and the salary range of the grade
Educated to Degree or equivalent level in an appropriate subject (preferably Science, Agriculture, Engineering)
Possess (as a minimum) a NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health or equivalent Level 6 professional health and safety qualification recognised in the UK
First Aid at Work qualification
Other health and safety qualifications such as: Fire Risk Assessor, DSE Assessor, Risk Assessment Assessor,
Experience and specialist knowledge of bio-safety hazards along with specialist knowledge of working in sector
Previous experience in the development of health and safety policies, procedures, and auditing
Previous experience of delivering health and safety training or similar teaching experience
Excellent risk assessment knowledge to complete, correct and amend RA’s and to deliver training on writing RA’s At least two years’ experience in health & safety or science/engineering/agriculture role Experience of managing accident investigations
Excellent verbal and written communications skills Excellent skills using Microsoft Office applications Evidence of continued CPD training Evidence of effective organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise tasks and to work under pressure with a keen attention to detail
Experience of working in a health and safety role in a similar setting or be able to demonstrate how current knowledge and skills will be transferrable
Certified member of IOSH, and/or other recognised health and safety bodies
Possession of a full, current driving license
Good interpersonal skills
The postholder should be a good communicator who gets on well with others and who would be willing to get involved in practical activities when required (i.e. putting on overalls/PPE to undertake health and safety audits etc.)
Ability to explain detailed information in a clear and concise manner to all levels of staff
Flexibility and initiative are essential
Maintain confidentiality at all times
Willingness to learn new skills across a variety of sectors
Willingness to undertake health and safety work to support all work in all areas including those where PPE will be required to be worn; oversight of health and safety arrangements for estates infrastructure and/or machinery workshops and similar areas