HR Advisor Job Desription
Job Summary HR Advisor Job Description
To provide a comprehensive, objective and quality HR service to managers and
staff in accordance with Employment legislation, policy and procedures
To support the HR Manager in the monitoring of implementation of policy,
ensuring all aspects of work undertaken is in line employment legislation.
Key Responsibilities-HR Advisor Job Desription
• Provide advice, guidance and support to Directors, Managers and staff on
all aspects of HR policies generally, ensuring an objective, professional and
confidential service. Where necessary providing appropriate advice, guidance and recommend the appropriate steps to correct any staff deficiencies in line with appropriate policies, procedures and employment legislation.
• Advise and support managers on the identification and handling of issues
relating to poor performance and capability and in dealing with capability,
disciplinary, and grievance investigations, to ensure that such investigations are conducted fairly and equitably. Attend meetings as necessary.
• Participation as part of disciplinary panel (within the post-holders level of
responsibility/capability) providing advice to the hearing officer on issues of
employment law and policies to ensure that the hearing is conducted
fairly and equitably.
• Provision of professional advice and support to managers on the
implementation of the grievance procedure.
• Support managers in the control of sickness absence and in ill-health
reviews in collaboration with the Occupational Health Department and in
line with the sickness management policies. This may include
making reasonable adjustments, seeking suitable alternative employment or
supporting decisions to terminate employment on health grounds.
• Assist in the support of organisational change, advising managers on the
consultation process and undertaking individual interviews in line with
policy. This may include advising on ‘TUPE’ transfers, dealing with
individual redundancy and redeployment.
• Attend & participate in selection interviews and assessment days ensuring
that professional advice is provided, and that objective and fair selection
takes place, taking proactive steps to address/avoid any potential direct/indirect
discrimination during the recruitment process
• Organise and conduct exit interviews and submit quarterly reports on
findings to the Senior Management Team advising on trends and
recommending corrective action as necessary.
• Provide objective, confidential and professional welfare and support service
to all staff when needed, sign-posting staff to appropriate services where
appropriate, e.g. EAP, Occupational Health.
• Provide advice to managers and staff on terms and conditions of service,
liaising closely with payroll and workforce teams.
• Support good employee relations by communicating with and involving staff
side as appropriate and maintaining contact with key managers to enable a
more proactive approach to HR support.
• Participate in the development or revision of HR policies asdictated by
changes in employment legislation or evolving initiatives, involving key
stakeholders and following the agreed consultation process.
• Support the Agenda for Change process as a trained
• Participate in the development and delivery of HR learning and
development programmes to include local Induction, Management of
Attendance, Disciplinary, Capability and Grievance procedures.
• Contribute to continuous professional development of the HR function,
providing support to less experienced members of the team.
• Participate in performance reviews in line with the Knowledge and
Skills Framework, personal training and continuous development.
• Support and assist the HR Manager or the corporate HR teams on HR
• Establish effective communication channels with managers and staff, postholders should make themselves available to those who need to speak to
them and communicate face to face whenever they can.
• Work as part of a team to ensure the delivery of quality HR services.
• Retain a high level of knowledge and understanding around current
projects/initiatives applicable to the function of the HR department, in order
to provide appropriate support and advice to Managers and Staff as
• Adherence to professional HR confidentiality standards and the Data
Protection Legislation as amended, relating to information held manually or
on computerised systems.
Knowledge Experience Skills and Education-HR Advisor Job Desription
Qualifications and Training Essential
Chartered Member of the CIPD (or similar qualification such as a
degree equivalent), or demonstrable experience working at this level
Evidence of continuous personal and professional development.
Knowledge and Experience Essential
Up to date knowledge of employment legislation and recommended
Working knowledge of HR policies and procedures.
Workforce Diversity and equality of opportunity.
Able to promote best practice in workplace health and safety.
Confidentiality / data protection and its impact upon staff records.
Knowledge of TUPE.
Previous experience of working in a HR environment providing
advice to managers.
Policy development and implementation.
An understanding of the HR Agenda within Workforce planning.
Recent experience of working within the industry
Working with change management processes
Skills and Aptitudes Essential
Able to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
To establish and maintain positive relationships with client managers,
staff and staff representatives.
Able to interpret complex information and employment legislation into
clear and understandable language.
Able to identify the development needs of team members and to work
with them to ensure these are delivered in the most appropriate way.
To analyse, interpret and report HR data and information.
To be able to manage a small team effectively so that they deliver
according to departmental and individual objectives.
Excellent interpersonal skills: including assertiveness and presentation
Able to influence/persuade successfully.
Able to organise and prioritise own workload.
Ability to make reasoned judgements and see them through.
IT Literate with the ability to word process documents and use
Development and delivery of training interventions such as management
Special Requirements Essential
Can do’ attitude.
Aware of effect upon others and of own strengths and weaknesses.
Able to demonstrate tenacity and resilience in difficult situations.
Rises to a challenge and able to challenge others.
Committed to partnership working and collaboration.
A team player.
Flexible and willing to travel.
To be able to contribute to the development of HR services